OB Anesthesia Rotation – Shift Swapping Policy
Description: Residents rotating on OB anesthesia work on 8 or 12-hour shifts. Monthly scheduling is performed by the chief residents. Any changes to the OB anesthesia resident schedule MUST BE APPROVED BY THE CHIEF RESIDENTS before implementation. Limited swapping will be allowed as described below.
Explanation: Given the shift schedule format, residents had historically swapped shifts to align with personal needs such as interviews, doctor’s appointments and travel. Shift swapping after the OB anesthesia schedule has been finalized may lead to significant confusion to those who depend on schedule accuracy. ACGME work hour rules, deployment transitions, balance of seniority, impact on other residents’ schedules (shift equity), and official schedule updating must also be considered prior to ANY change.
Swapped shifts must adhere to the following guidelines (unless there are extenuating circumstances approved by the chief residents):
- All shift swaps must be approved by the chief residents.
- All shift swaps must be made by the 7th day of the rotation.
- Shifts must be no longer than 12 hours.
- There must be at least 10 hours off between shifts.
- All residents new to the rotation must be present (independent of shift schedules or post-call status) for orientation on the morning of the first day of the rotation.
- New residents must do at least two daytime shifts prior to taking a night shift.
Last updated January 2017 – DSK